Ready for discovery?
Through a Discovery Group, you'll meet with 2-3 people for a simple Bible Study. As your group walks through a short set of 7 questions together, you will...
- discover the teachings of the Bible,
- be challenged to obey what you learn,
- and be encouraged to share what you've learned with others.
Take a few minutes to catch up with one another.
- Share a recent highlight and lowlight.
- Review progress on commitments.
- Review previous study.
Use some SOAP
The letters of SOAP profile an effective, and easy to remember outline for engaging with the Bible.
- Read a passage (see suggested lists below).
- Retell the passage from memory.
1) “What does this scripture tell me about God and/or His plan?”
2) “What does this scripture tell me about people?”
3) “If this scripture is truly from God, how will I apply and/or obey it?” (“I will…”)
4) “Who needs to hear this scripture, and when will I share it?”
5) “What’s a current need in my community?”
6) “In addition to prayer, how can we help meet this need?”
Wrap it up
Before everyone goes their separate ways, be sure to ask:
7) “When will we meet again?”
Genesis to Jesus
This list is a good place to start. It's designed to show who God is, who man is, what God expects of man, and why Jesus died for us.
- Genesis 1:1-27, God Creates
- Genesis 2:4-24, God Creates Man and Woman
- Genesis 3:1-13, The Fall: Man and Woman Eat the Fruit
- Genesis 3:14-24, The Fall: God’s Curses
- Genesis 6:5-8, God Regrets His Creation
- Genesis 6:9-8:14, God Saves Noah and His Family
- Genesis 8:15-9:17, God’s Covenant with Noah
- Genesis 12:1-8, 15:1-6, 17:1-7, God’s Covenant with Abram
- Genesis 22:1-19, Abraham Gives Son as an Offering
- Exodus 12:1-28, God Saves His People
- Exodus 20:1-21, The Ten Commandments
- Leviticus 4:1-35, The Sin Offering
- Psalm 23:1-6, God is our Shepherd
- Isaiah 53, The Suffering Servant
- Luke 1:26-38; 2:1-20, Jesus is Born
- Matt 3; John 1:29-34, Jesus is Baptized
- Matthew 4:1-11, Jesus is Tempted by the Devil
- John 3:1-21, Jesus and the Religious Leader
- John 4:1-26; 39-42, Jesus and the Samaritan Woman
- Luke 5:17-26, Jesus and the Paralyzed Man
- Mark 4:35-41, Jesus Calms the Storm
- Mark 5:1-20, Jesus and the Man with Evil Spirits
- John 11:1-44, Jesus Raises a Man from the Dead
- Matthew 26:26-30, Jesus Talks about His Betrayal and the Covenant
- John 18:1-19:16, Jesus is Betrayed and Faces Trial
- Luke 23:32-56, Jesus is Crucified
- Luke 24:1-35, Jesus is Resurrected
- Luke 24:36-53, Jesus Appears to Disciples and Ascends to Heaven
- John 3:1-21, Enter into the Kingdom God